By Delores Afful
If you don’t have health insurance, March 31 is your last chance to enroll in coverage that starts in 2014.
If you’re looking for affordable healthcare, Maryland Health Connection is your destination. Maryland Health connection is our state’s health insurance marketplace. It offers the chance to shop, compare and select a health plan that meets your needs and that of your family.
It’s not that hard. On the website you can:
· –Fill out a single application to enroll yourself or your family. You can do this after you compare plans and decide which one works best for you. Small businesses can apply too.
· -Find out if you or a family member qualifies for a public health program, such as Maryland Children’s Health Program or Medicaid.
· –Learn if you qualify for the new federal tax credit that will lower monthly health insurance premiums (the amount you or your employer pays each month) or your out of pocket costs.
Enrolling provides you with many opportunities such as:
· –Insurance companies can’t deny you coverage or charge you more based on a pre-existing and chronic health condition or a disability.
· –You can choose the doctor you want from your health plan provider and you can visit an emergency room outside the network without any penalty.
The Affordable Care Act enables young adults to be added or remain on their parent’s health plan until the age of 26.
For more information, contact the Consumer Assistance Program on the Maryland Health Connection website.